Sunday, September 16, 2012

'Stairway to My Heart' by Marion Marchetto

Title: Stairway to My Heart

Author:
Marion Marchetto

Publisher:
iUniverse

Published Date: June 30, 2012


Format: Paperback, Hardcover & Kindle


Buy on Amazon: Stairway to My Heart


Author's Website
: http://marionmarchetto.com/wp/







Synopsis from Back Cover:

From the moment Cordelia Conner is born in New York in 1890, her seamstress mother vows her daughter's life will be far better than hers. As she kisses her tiny newborn's head, she dreams that one day, her daughter will become a lady of quality and marry a wealthy man-and she is prepared to dedicate her life to make it happen.

Hundreds of miles away, young Kevin Newkirk is growing up in an influential Boston family. Kevin is accustomed to a life of prestige. But he is also very aware that he is the last male in the line and in need of a suitable wife to provide him with a son. In love with a woman whose heritage is questionable, Kevin has no idea that Cordelia even exists. But when fate brings Kevin and Cordelia together during a weekend at a summer home, Kevin decides she is the answer to his dilemma. Cordelia sees Kevin as the means to fulfill her mother's burning passion. Their relationship seems destined to be a match made in heaven.

As the young couple marries and establishes their new life, only time will tell if the union between an unlikely pair will survive and create the dynasty their parents dreamed of.


My Thoughts:

Marion Marchetto's Stairway to My Heart, the first book in her new Bridgewater Chronicles series, is sure to be an instant hit among historical fiction buffs.  Beginning in 1890 and spanning across many decades, Stairway to My Heart will capture your attention and leave you asking for more.  Marchetto is able to capture the feeling of 20th century America as she brings you the story of the Newkirk and Conner families.

Bostonian Kevin Newkirk is the heir to his prestigious family's business, Newkirk Trading.  Growing up he is a bright boy, more interested in horses and working in the Newkirk stables than going on hunting parties with the men of his family.  When Kevin comes of age he meets Jeannette, a Parlor Maid, who he falls in love with.  He has dreams of rescuing her from her hard life by marrying her.  However, because Jeannette is from a low social class, Kevin's parents nix his idea and insist that he marry a suitable bride that will bear him a son to carry on the Newkirk name.

Cordelia Conner is the daughter of immigrant parents who have found success in New York.  Determined that Cordelia have a better life than they had, her parents work hard to make her a 'woman of quality.'  Cordelia's brother, Cal, happens to meet and become best friends with Kevin at Yale.  As the years pass, the Newkirk's decide to host a party to introduce Kevin to available women who are of the correct social status.  Cordelia goes along with her brother to visit Kevin during this time.  However, once Kevin is reintroduced to the adult Cordelia, he knows who will be his wife.

All of this transpires in the first 100 pages of Stairway to My Heart.  I mention this because what I have written about is only the beginning for Kevin and Cordelia.  Marchetto's book flows wonderfully as year's pass and the duo succumb's to the will of their parents.  Kevin and Cordelia certainly do not have the perfect marriage or life.  Stairway to My Heart is full of romance, tragedy, and humor.  

I found the characters in Marchetto's Stairway to My Heart to be wonderfully written.  They were very 3 dimensional, with flaws and unique qualities.  Take Kevin, for instance.  During the beginning of Stairway to My Heart, I truly liked him and wanted to see him happy.  As time went on he changed from a bright young boy believing in love, to a pompous man very similar to his father.  Marchetto really does a great job of developing her characters to further Stairway to My Heart.

I, myself, am excited to read the next installment of The Bridgewater Chronicles.  The series is supposed to cover 5 generations of Newkirk's.  If the second book is anything like the first, it will be a fantastic read!  I have read that Marion Marchetto has hopes that The Bridgewater Chronicles will be turned into a movie or mini-series.  After reading Stairway to My Heart, this seems like the perfect story to bring to life. 

I definitely recommend Marion Marchetto's Stairway to My Heart, to any and all fiction lovers.  I thoroughly enjoyed every second of Stairway to My Heart, and believe you will too!

iUniverse and Marion Marchetto has provided me with a complimentary copy of the book, Stairway to My Heart, for the purpose of review.  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment